Poison Control Center
24-hour Poison Control Center hotline
Toll free 1-800-222-1222
The Poison Control Center’s hotline is 1-800-222-1222. You can call from anywhere in the state of Kansas and throughout the Kansas City metropolitan area. We're available 24/7.
A poison is anything that can cause sickness or death if it gets into or on the body. If you have a question about any type of poison, call The University of Kansas Hospital Poison Control Center. You’ll talk to a critical care nurse, pharmacist or medical doctor who is nationally certified in poison management.
What to do in a poisoning emergency
If you think someone has been poisoned, immediately call The University of Kansas Hospital Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222. DO NOT WAIT for the person to look or feel sick! The Poison Control Center will advise you on correct treatment and help you determine whether you need to go to a hospital or a doctor’s office.
Have the following information ready:
- Your name, phone number and ZIP code
- The name, age and weight of the person exposed to poison
- When the poison incident happened
- Amount and type of exposure
- How the exposure occurred
- Name of the product and ingredients
- Symptoms the exposed person is experiencing
- Name of a hospital near you
- Travel time to the nearest hospital
Learn more about common poisons and what to do if you think someone has been poisoned.
Learn more about The University of Kansas Hospital Poison Control Center.